Accomplishments & Community activities
- 1980–Present – International Association of Assessing Officers (IAAO) Member
- 1980–Present – Colorado Assessors’ Association (CAA) Member
Chairman, CAA Legislative Committee, 1996–2014
Assessor of the Year, 2009
Numerous committee chair positions and policy activities
- 1985–Present – Upper South Platte Water Conservancy District President. District was formed in 1955. We purchased our first water rights in 1993. We have defended Park County from Front Range cities in taking our groundwater 1996–2014. We have storage and water rights in Spinney Mountain Reservoir and the North Fork, in fee simple ownership. We are protecting our upper basin water rights for our future!
- 1990–1996 – Colorado Board of Real Estate Appraisers Founding Board Member, Board Chairman, 1992–1993
- 1998 – Launched www.parkco.org, the third searchable web-based tax roll data in Colorado at that time. New, more user-friendly version coming soon!
- 2006–Present – Park County Land & Water Trust Fund Advisory Board Member. I helped campaign for this 1% sales tax originally in 1997, with a 10-year sunset clause. My daughter, Jennifer, and I ran the re-authorization election in 2006. Both measures passed with over 80% yes votes countywide! The fund is up for re-authorization on this November’s ballot. It is a unique and valuable revenue source exclusive to our County.
- 2007–Present – Headwater Authority of the South Platte (HASP) Chairman. We developed a blanket plan of augmentation water that covers all of the Upper South Platte Basin, and that portion of Park County in the Arkansas River Basin. In 2016 we obtained the legal right to move South Platte water into the Arkansas to augment their current needs. No native water exists to solve these uses.
- 2012 – Fought outright discrimination by state government of agricultural land owners within Park County. I won the argument in front of the State Board of Equalization and delayed this law from impacting our citizens and property owners until 2016.
- Fairplay Flume “Best of” Awards:
2014 – “Best Public Office to do Business With; Best Public Speaker”
2016 – “Best Local Elected Official”
2018 – “Best Place to Work; Best Public Office to do Business; Best Local Elected Official”
Copyright 2018, All Rights Reserved